Tuesday, May 27, 2008

First XI: Reflections across the pond

First XI: Reflections across the pond
First XI is lucky enough to be in London for Wednesday's friendly between the U.S. and England. So here's a rundown of notes heading into the showdown, which should provide American players and fans with an almost fantasy-like experience.

11. It's like a reunion: Walking through the lobby of the team hotel is like attending an MLS reunion. By my count, the U.S. has five current MLS players and 11 MLS alumni on its 22-man roster. Always great to see the likes of Eddie Lewis, who I wrote about in ESPN The Magazine's 1999 MLS Preview, where he was pictured alongside Clint Mathis, Ben Olsen, Ross Paule and C.J. Brown under the headline, "Will Play for Food."

10. Away is the way: Talking to the players, there's a thrill they'll get out of playing this match at Wembley that could never be duplicated playing a game like this on U.S. soil. And it's not just that Wembley is ... Wembley ... it's knowing that U.S. fans will be watching the game during the afternoon, while they're playing under the lights, the way they've watched so many games from Europe. It's hard to describe, but I sense they feel it will be like playing on Monday Night Football, even though it's Wednesday Afternoon Soccer. We've developed a cultural thing in the States, I believe, where soccer fans seem to know that Wednesdays at 2:30 or 3:00 is when big games are on.

9. What Beck-ons: I've been here for over a week now and can tell you that Brits are keen to know how David Beckham is doing in "The MLS." In fact, one cab driver was quick to point out to me that the Galaxy are leading the league in goals. In the lobby of my hotel on Sunday, where I was covering a golf event, I was showing anyone I could find the video clip of Beckham's empty-net goal.

8. The Holy Grail: Like the players, I'm thrilled to be making my maiden voyage to new Wembley. I never got to the original and can only list Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park and the no-longer-with-us Maine Road as the stadiums I've seen in England. You could actually see the disappointment in the players faces on Tuesday when they were told their training session would be at Watford as Wembley's pitch attempts to mend from playoff matches on three consecutive days. When the players walk on to the field on Wednesday, it'll be their first time on the grass. If I'm not mistaken, the only U.S. player on the current roster who's ever played on this field is Lewis.

7. Not the American way: Speaking of the playoffs, it never ceases to amaze me how thrilling it is for clubs and their fans to "move up." I've learned that the American expression that "second place is for losers" -- and all related American-isms -- is, as they say over here, rubbish. After watching three football playoff matches this weekend, where teams (and their cities) were fighting simply for the right to play at a higher level next season, I've come to the clear conclusion that there's more to life than first place. Saturday's 1-0 victory for Hull City over Bristol City was thrilling. Never in their 104-year history have Hull City's Tigers played in England's top division, but they'll get their chance next year because of a wonder goal struck by (get set for this name) Dean Windass, who is 39 years old, roughly 39 pounds overweight, and who grew up in Hull.

6. On the tee: As I stated earlier, I've been over here for a week working on a golf story and there's something really fun about working the range at a European Tour event. The players and caddies talk way more about soccer than they do about golf and it seems every player has a club he lives and dies with. Paul McGinley was talking Celtic. Paul Lawrie lives and dies with Aberdeen. Ian Poulter actually places an Arsenal flag behind his spot on the range. I watched the Champions League final with a tour vet named John Bickerton who's a devout Aston Villa fan. Oh, and by the way, I did see one youngster at the Wentworth Golf Club with his LA Galaxy jersey on ... No. 23, of course.

5. Landon at 100: Congrats are in order for Landon Donovan, who will join Joe-Max Moore, Tony Meola, Earnie Stewart, Kasey Keller, Eric Wynalda, Paul Caligiuri, Claudio Reyna, Marcelo Balboa, Jeff Agoos and Cobi Jones in the 100-cap club. He will also become the fourth-youngest player in the world to reach 100 caps for his country. Only Cha Bum-Kun (South Korea), Sami Al-Jaber (Saudi Arabia), Mohammed Al-Khilaiwi (Saudi Arabia), reached the century mark at an age young than Donovan, who turned 26 on March 4. How old does this note make you feel?

4. Was it really three years ago? Had to look twice at this one to believe it. Remember the U.S.-England match at Soldier Field? The one that England won 2-1, where Clint Dempsey scored his first international goal? I could not believe that was already three years ago. Guess time flies when you're having fun. It also made it hit home that qualifying is just around the corner, and before we know it, hopefully South Africa 2010.

3. How about? I'm even old enough to remember the U.S. beating England (no, not in 1950), 2-1 in 1993 at Foxboro Stadium, on goals by Thomas Dooley and Alexi Lalas. I went searching Youtube for a clip of that Lalas goal but it's not up yet. We'll test the powers of First XI and see how long it takes for a soccer fan to get that goal up for all of us to see. In the meantime, here's an Alexi video that'll take you down Memory Lane.

2. Over here. I must admit, much as I fancy myself as a soccer and MLS historian (kinda, sorta) I had no idea that the U.S. has only played England once in England. That was in September of 1994, and the U.S. lost 2-1. Current U.S. assistant coach and former Wizard/MetroStars/Fire player Mike Sorber went the full 90 in that one.

1. It should be fun. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes the English Premier League stars almost seem like TV stars to me, since I never get the chance to see them in person and the only time I've ever interviewed any of them was 10 years ago when I did a piece on an 18-year-old Michael Owen and also got a chance to talk to Alan Shearer and David Seaman. So, it will no doubt be thrilling to see the Americans face off against the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Owen Hargreaves, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard and John Terry, not to mention Owen and others. Enjoy the show.


Petric made his mark
Campbell Perfectly Happy At Pompey
Hoops look to regroup after first loss