Thursday, September 11, 2008

Shea settles into new position

FRISCO, Texas -- When FC Dallas drafted Brek Shea second overall in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft, team officials saw him as either a forward or midfielder. So far this year, the 18-year-old rookie has played up top, in the midfield and also at left back. But more recently, FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman has found a new spot where he feels Shea will thrive: center back.

Shea's debut at his new position came in an August 27 reserve game against Houston. His first start there was rocky as two of his mistakes led to Dynamo goals. However, he returned last Friday against the Colorado reserves and performed better. But on Sunday, he got an even bigger test when Hyndman gave him the starting nod in a friendly against Mexican side Club America, a game FCD won 2-1.

"We've been training him at center back for two weeks but (Sunday) was his big test," Hyndman said. "He's played in a couple of reserve games and his first one wasn't great because he had a couple of mistakes that led to goals. In the next reserve game, there was a big improvement and I thought he did well yesterday. It's a big improvement considering where he came from and where he is. I was very pleased with him. He won head balls and was marking (Alfredo) Moreno, one of America's best strikers."

For Hyndman, Sunday's solid performance from the lanky rookie was further reinforcement of the various strengths that Shea brings to the field.

"I think Brek (Shea) is a player that could offer so much because of his size and speed," Hyndman said. "For a big man, he's got a great first touch and he's got a lot of things going for him. What we tried to do is simplify it for him by putting him into a position where he can see the game in front of him. So, I thought what would be the best place to put him that would help his growth as a player? Where is a place that we need help?"

For Shea, the adjustment to the new position comes on top of the learning curve every rookie goes through.

"It's a new position and basically the opposite of where I have played before," he said. "Every day (in practice) I learn new things. Pitch (Aaron Pitchkolan), Drew (Moor), Duilio (Davino), Dario (Sala) and coach have all helped me by talking me through practices and helped me during the game with things I should do better and things I should always be aware of." However, the Hoops rookie conceded that the competition level associated with facing America was much higher than in the two reserve games he had played at his new spot.

"(It) was at a whole new level compared to the reserve games," Shea said. "Their forwards are really good and I had to always know where they were and not lose focus for a second because they would get in behind me or beat me."

So far in 2008, Shea has seen time in only two games with FCD's first team. But he has gotten considerable action with the U.S. Under-20 national team, traveling to the Milk Cup in Northern Ireland, the Campos Verde International Tournament in Portugal and a friendly against Mexico in July.

Shea was also with the U.S. under-23 team for the Toulon tournament in France in May and was summoned for the June 22 World Cup qualifier in Barbados but did not play.

But in all of his time playing soccer, the big Texan can't recall a time when he ever played center back until recently.

"I've jumped back there a few times for the national team but have played left back mostly," he said.

Much of his rookie season has been spent moving around the field to find the best spot for him to play, a process Hyndman labels as basic.

"I think it was a process of elimination," he said. "If he would have excelled in one of those other spots, then we would have left him there. But my comment to him was that if he was a $100,000 player and learned to play this position right, then he could be a million-dollar player anywhere in the world. He has everything coaches look for."

Hyndman even went so far as to compare Shea to a current star of the English Premier League.

"When you look at John Terry of Chelsea, he and Brek are very similar," he said. "They've come through the youth program but somebody took them and told them what their strengths are. You've got to be a ball winner, a team leader and this and that. Now, (Terry) is one of the best defenders in the Premier League. Whether (Shea) is able to reach that level or not reach that level, I think that's a great role model for him."

Shea admits that there were times during the year when he wondered when he would find a set position.

"You always have doubts and uncertainty but I think it's been good," he said. "If you can play a lot of positions, that can be good. I think he likes me at center back, so I probably will be playing there for a while."

He also realizes that his size and pace help him a lot in his new position. "My size and speed help me a lot," Shea said. "If I can body up on a guy, win head balls or beat people to the ball, then that helps a lot for a center back."

While he has no complaints about his new position, Shea thinks back to when he was drafted and admitted he never thought he would be playing center back this year. "No, it never crossed my mind," he said. "I thought that I had a chance of ending up a left back but at center back, never."

The opportunities for a center back to get involved in the attack are somewhat limited, something that Shea misses about playing other places on the field.

"I definitely miss that," he said. "I love going forward, attacking and making things happen. Center backs can't really do that as much. Yes (I still like getting involved on set pieces with my size) but it's not the same as attacking."


Pablo Remaining Positive
Mayor Not Impressed By Barça
Tale of two halves for Hoops vs. Crew