Thursday, July 17, 2008

Crew looking for consistency in back

Crew looking for consistency in back
COLUMBUS -- While the Columbus Crew have found stability in the midfield and forward positions the past three matches with the same starting six, the backline continues to be a source of adjustment.

However, coach Sigi Schmid said the constant changes are a matter of tactical moves and not unhappiness with the players, trying to fill the left back spot and one of the center back positions alongside Chad Marshall. For instance, rookie Ryan Junge started on the left side Saturday at Real Salt Lake in part because Schmid thought his long throw-in capability might be useful on the hard artificial turf. In the previous two games Danny O'Rourke was on the left side.

"We felt that in the case of Colorado (June 28), O'Rourke was the better person at left back," Schmid. "We felt that at Salt Lake with the narrowness of the field and the ball going out of bounds we could use his throw-ins."

Since Frankie Hejduk returned from the U.S. national team four matches ago and occupied his usual right back position, he and Marshall have been the only constants on the backline. Rookie Andy Iro has made two starts in the middle as has O'Rourke, a converted midfielder who also made two starts on the left. Junge has been in the opening lineup twice.

The shuffle was caused by injuries to left back Gino Padula then his replacement, Ezra Hendrickson. Padula has not played since April 26.

"Padula was the guy we expected to play at left back but he's missed so much that we've had throw different people out there. Ezra was there for awhile, now Danny," Schmid said. "It's really been a reflection of Iro's development in the middle and wanting to keep Danny on the field that pushed him to the outside."

Hendrickson has missed the last five matches due to a left groin strain but said Tuesday he is fit.

"To be honest, my best position is center back," he said. "I prefer playing in the middle. I bring a lot of experience and organization to the middle of the pitch. If I had choice, that's where I'd play but I'm ready for wherever they need. I know I'm not going to straight into a starting role."

The emergence of Iro, the 2008 first-round pick from California-Santa Barbara via Liverpool, England, gives Schmid options in the middle. When he wants quickness he goes with the 6-foot O'Rourke.

"Danny has great speed," goalkeeper Will Hesmer said. "Danny's still learning the job but overall is doing a good job. He still has his moments when you think, 'Yeah, we understand you're not a center back.'"

Iro (6-5) and Marshall (6-4) are the masts on the Crew's ship.

"When we're next to each other opposing players see two big guys," Iro said. "At least that's one element to the game that maybe they think, 'We can't go long here. There's really no point in crossing the ball because there's two big bodies in there.' Although Danny is very good in there I think people look at a big guy and a small guy and think they can attack that way."

Added Hesmer, "Andy and Chad gives us a great aerial presence."

Marshall said he is comfortable with either partner.

"Everyone has different tendencies but I've with both of them enough to know what they're doing," he said. "With Danny, I know if the ball goes over the top he's a little faster and has the speed to get there where with Andy I have to cover more."

As the Crew prepared Tuesday for Thursday's home match vs. Kansas City, the first 11 had two personnel changes from the starters in the 2-0 loss to Real Salt Lake. Stefani Miglioranzi replaced Brad Evans as the center midfielder and Iro was at center back instead of O'Rourke, who went to the left in place of Junge.

Iro could make his fourth start.

"There's a lot of ups and downs to being a rookie. I've learned not to take criticism personally. I was letting it get to me. It was affecting my performance in terms of mistakes on the field," he said. "When I first got here I was thinking every bad pass meant I was a really bad player. I've learned to roll with the punches. Ultimately I'll keep doing that until the end of the season.

"Every time I step on the field I still feel like the new guy. For sure, it's going to take awhile to wear off. You notice the difference between the older guys and how confident they are and how they interact. They're more mature with their decisions than me as a rookie."

Schmid said Iro's transformation from a nervous newbie to a reliable defender is noticeable.

"From the beginning of the season until now he's really improved in a lot of areas -- his approach to training has taken a tremendous leap forward and he's a much more confident player than he was at the beginning of the year," he said.

Iro credits being paired with Marshall.

"I learn from him. He's a really, really good player," Iro said. "He has a lot of things I don't have that I would like to have. He's so clean on the ball. I'm not sure if he's had that his whole life or if he's learned it in his four years in the league."

Someday a rookie defensive partner might be asking the same question of Iro.


Zenit To Sign Arshavin Replacement?
Crew return home after strong road trip