Friday, July 4, 2008

FCD players to compete for U.S. U-20 Team

FCD players to compete for U.S. U-20 Team
FRISCO, Texas -- Three members of the FC Dallas roster will travel to the southern tip of Texas next week to play for the U.S. under-20 national team in a match with their counterparts from Mexico in Laredo.

All three -- goalkeeper Josh Lambo, midfielder/forward Brek Shea and midfielder/defender Anthony Wallace -- are U.S. U-20 veterans, and along with Jorge Flores (Chivas USA) and Brandon Manzonelli (New England Revolution), comprise the entire MLS contingent in Thomas Rongen's 16-player squad.

Lambo last appeared with the youth national team in January for the Copa Chivas tournament in Guadalajara, Mexico. The young 'keeper likely would have been called in for additional duty were it not for a broken jaw suffered in FCD's first reserve game on March 30. That injury kept him out of action until mid-May.

Shea also missed the Copa Chivas with an injury but has been busy internationally since. He was called in for the U.S. under-23 match at Barbados on June 22 but didn't play. Before that, the 18-year-old rookie played for the U-23s at the Toulon International Tournament in May and the U-20s in the Campo Verde International Tournament, where he scored a goal.

Wallace is also no stranger to international duty. He joined Shea at the Campo Verde Tournament in Portugal, starting and wearing the captain's armband for their first match against the Cape Verde Islands. He also appeared in a camp with the U-23 team in January.

While disappointed to lose three of his most promising youngsters, FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman is happy for his contingent called into the youth national team.

"I think that's great that they're getting a chance to continue to play for their country," Hyndman said. "We're going to miss them because we're getting some good training and they're starting to feel more comfortable with me and my demands. They have a future here and we want to get them playing time. I think it's fantastic. Any time players can get the opportunity to play at a different level or to put themselves in a position to play for their country, I think it's great."

The Hoops boss sees it as another great chance for his youngsters to get more playing time against some high-quality competition.

"Because the reserve schedule isn't a week-in, week-out thing that they can focus on, this is a wonderful opportunity, not only for the training but preparing for competition," Hyndman said. "I think when they come back, they're sharper and a little more excited because it's not the same thing where they show up for training every day and don't know if they'll get to play in the weekend. This is really a necessity for these developmental players."

All three players are ready to turn out for the USA in south Texas.

"It's really special for me because after getting injured, I was kind of worried about getting my form back and everything," Lambo said. "Getting invited to the U-20s means that I am back at the same level where I was at before. That's very special for me. Playing with Brek and Wally are two guys I am very comfortable with. I came here not knowing anybody but them after the draft, so seeing some familiar faces there will be good."

Shea agrees with his roommate and close friend. "It should be fun," he said. "It looks like there is a bunch of new guys and some old guys that I haven't seen in a while. I'm looking forward to playing Mexico because that's always a good environment and a good team to play against. I'm excited."

Wallace, a second-year midfielder, was also called in for the U-20 team's trip to England in early May but then FCD head coach Steve Morrow didn't release Wallace because he needed him to play for the Hoops. So far this year, he has appeared in four matches, three of those starts.

"It's always good to get called in again," Wallace said. "Of course, I have both of my teammates coming with me again and am looking to get back into the swing of things. I didn't go to the last trip that they had because I had to stay here, so I'm looking forward to getting back into it."

Shea is expecting the crowd to be dominated by Mexican fans, but Lambo still anticipates a great atmosphere for the international match.

"I'm really looking forward to the game," Lambo said. "Hopefully, I will get a chance to play. It will basically be an away game but that makes it fun. I would rather have an atmosphere for the other team than no atmosphere at all because that makes it fun. It will get me prepared for when I start playing more for FC Dallas and get me more experience. It will be good for me."

All three agree that playing in such matches can only help them develop even faster into consistent MLS starters.

"I think they help a lot, especially playing against international players, especially kids from other youth teams," Shea said. "They're always good teams. Being with Thomas Rongen and the rest of the coaching staff helps a lot."

Wallace agrees. "It (the competition level) is definitely similar (to MLS) but the intensity is a little lower," he said. "It definitely helps keeps me sharp."


Betis Stadium Ban Reduced To One Game
Milan in Ronnie admission
Undermanned Dynamo look for mix