Sunday, July 20, 2008

Young Hoops champing at bit

Young Hoops champing at bit
FRISCO, Texas -- FC Dallas has the youngest roster in Major League Soccer and it might not be long before some of that young talent has pushed its way into the starting 11. Schellas Hyndman has been the Hoops' coach now for one month and several FCD rookies have already caught his eye.

Midfielder Eric Avila, whom FCD took in the second round of the 2008 SuperDraft (19th overall) is the first to impress his new coach. Avila has played in two league matches and has one assist after delivering a ball to Abe Thompson that allowed the Hoops to salvage a point in a 1-1 tie with Kansas City on July 4. He has also played in two U.S. Open Cup matches, where he has one assist.

"He's very technical, has got good vision, makes good decisions, has got good athletic ability and is quick," Hyndman said about Avila. "I think he's a better central player than he is a wide player, and we need to concentrate and getting him to play more in those positions. He can improve on his defense by putting a little more pressure on opponents. But he's come a long way. I think he's proven that every time we put him on the field, there's a little bit of electricity."

The other rookie Hyndman has taken notice of is forward Brek Shea. The 6-foot-3 Texan was the second-overall pick in this year's draft and has already played for the U.S. under-20 and under-23 national teams this year. In league play, he has appeared in two matches and seen a total of 17 minutes.

Earlier in the year, Shea, who is only 18, was playing in the midfield and even in the back, but Hyndman now sees the big youngster as more of a frontline player for FCD.

"(There are) a lot of positive things with Brek (Shea) up there because he reads the game and tries to do a little bit more than just run away," Hyndman said. "He tries to be more of a combination player. I can also see the youth up there with a lot of silly giveaways on non-pressure balls and lackadaisical passing. He's got to improve on that and he and I talked about that."

But that hasn't precluded him from showing Shea some tough love like he did during training earlier this week.

"On his last one (mistake), I stopped the exercise to give him a chance to not just forget about it," Hyndman said. "I know all the players are trying to support him but at some point in time, you have to step up from a boy to a man, and if we're asking you to play as a man, then you need to play like a man."

Both players are pleased that Hyndman has taken notice of their development but still seek to keep improving.

"It's awesome and is something that I have to keep going with and showing him that I can," Avila said. "With a new coach, it's a whole new start. I've been doing well in practice, so I hope to get rewarded for that."

Added Shea: "It's always good when a new coach comes in and says that you're doing a good job. I hope that I keep improving and that he keeps noticing."

Each rookie has noticed a big difference between the sessions under Hyndman compared to those under previous FCD head coach Steve Morrow and interim boss Marco Ferruzzi.

"It's a lot more intense," Avila said. "He's teaching us what our problems are and what we need to fix, especially when it comes to fitness. These sessions are hard but that's good for us. To tell the truth, it's what we need. He's always on us and I think we needed a nice little wake-up call. That's what he's doing."

Said Shea: "The sessions are longer and more intense but I think it's good. I've also noticed that he expects more. If you can show him that you can play, then he will play you."

For Avila, the biggest change that he can see in himself since arriving in Frisco back in February for preseason is a higher comfort level all-around.

"It's a lot of different things but I'm more comfortable and that's what I like," he said. "If I'm too nervous or intense, my game is a little off. Now, I feel comfortable with the guys and playing with them is fun. Since he has been here, I have improved on holding the ball and keeping possession. He wants me to go forward and allows me to do that. That gives me the confidence to go and play the way that I like."

Shea acknowledges that he still has plenty to work on but has benefited greatly from spending extra time on the practice field doing finishing drills with FCD leading scorer Kenny Cooper, a member of the league's All-Star First XI.

"I just need to keep the ball and not give it away with silly mistakes," he said. "He (Cooper) has taught me how to be composed in the box on finishes. He has taught me to focus on where I want to put it. He's scored a lot of goals, so it's good for me to listen to him."

The lanky Texan likes the possibilities that could come from playing up top with Cooper, who is also 6-foot-3. "We're pretty tall and should be able to win a lot of aerial battles on corners and flick-ons," Shea said. "Hopefully, we can use that to our advantage."


FCD players to compete for U.S. U-20 Team
Cáceres: I Will Give My All