Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cunningham ready to make mark for Hoops

Cunningham ready to make mark for Hoops


FRISCO, Texas -- Even at age 32, Jeff Cunningham still has a burning drive to succeed -- and shows no signs of slowing. On Saturday morning, FC Dallas held an intrasquad scrimmage that was open to club supporters at Pizza Hut Park. Cunningham delivered a pair of goals and an assist, all of which came in the first half of play.

After coming out at the break, Cunningham spent some 20 minutes running around the field before finally taking a rest. For FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman, his veteran striker has shown him a lot so far in preseason.

"I think Jeff has done well," Hyndman said. "He's a seasoned pro. He knows his body very well and is always fit. I thought in our scrimmage the other day, we saw another side of him. Even though we're in preseason and people might be pacing themselves, I thought he stepped it up a bit and looked like the Jeff we remember from last year. He's going to hopefully be a strong threat for us this year."

The veteran scorer, who has 104 goals for his 11-year MLS career, agrees.

"I'm just getting back into things and still have a ways to go," Cunningham said. "I think as a team, we're OK. We've got a good fitness base and the coaching staff is working on some tactical stuff. I think we're good as far as this part of the year to be where we are."

When he was traded to the Hoops last August, Cunningham greeted his new teammates in a cowboy hat. And with his wife and young daughter now also living in Frisco, the seasoned pro has really taken a shine to his new surroundings.

"I feel like a Texan now," he said. "I have one (cowboy hat) but am waiting for the boots. I am eating more steaks and barbecue now. I'm good now. My family is here and they are very settled. Everything is in place off the field. It's time now to prove myself again."

Cunningham made 11 starts for FCD last fall and had five goals and two assists for his new team. After the Hoops missed the playoffs, he resolved that he would be ready for 2009 and look to return to the form he showed in 2006 when he had 16 goals and 11 assists for Real Salt Lake. At least so far, he is making good on that claim and looks very fit.

"It (preseason) is a long time," he said. "I believe we have 50 days left and that's a long time. I think we started as a group with a good base. With the remaining time left, it's going to be perfect because you want to be playing your best football at the right time. I still have a ways to go but I feel like I'm making the right progress."

Hyndman concurs. "I think he's got God-given genetics," he said. "You also have to appreciate how much he's taken care of himself. Players like him when they hit a certain age, they start to slow down. But he doesn't look like he has. He's worked at it, whether it's his diet, exercising or rest. He's taken care of himself very well."

The FCD forward is clearly anticipating the benefits of having one of the league's best crossers on his side in newly acquired midfielder Dave van den Bergh.

"He's going to create more scoring chances by getting balls into the box," Cunningham said. "He has that vision to create space for us and to play balls into us in goal scoring spots. It's good to have that veteran player on the field as well to help some of the young boys. It's a good addition and I'm looking forward to getting some crosses from him."

Cunningham also has some familiar company on the FCD roster. Late last week, the Hoops signed another big striker in fellow Jamaican Sean Bucknor. Growing up in Montego Bay, Cunningham was coached by Bucknor's father, Steve, who is now a well-known cricket official.

"It's funny because there is a lot of history with me and his dad," Cunningham said. "He took a group of probably around 30 players and became that father figure to us. He basically saved us from the streets. He's the reason why I'm here, am able to do this and to be a good human being. If he wasn't in my life at that point, I don't think the outcome would be where I am today. I'm happy that his son is here. The least I can do is to help teach him how to become a good pro. I can't tell you how much his father made a difference in my life."

Cunningham remembers the last time he saw Sean Bucknor before he became one of his teammates with the Hoops.

"When I left Jamaica, he was probably like two," Cunningham said. "Now, he's a grown man and bigger than me. He's worked hard to get to this point. For his son to be here now, it's just a little opportunity to be helpful and to thank his father. For him to be here and to be able to help him settle in, at the end of the day, I can say I did well."

Cunningham couldn't help but begin showing some emotion when discussing the impact that Bucknor's father had on his life.

"His dad has done so much for me," he said. "He's a great man and I owe everything I have to him. You know, in life, there are a few people that shape you and give you direction. He's one of those persons. I was 12 at the time and in Jamaica, there weren't any options besides the streets. He helped us and used football as an avenue to shape us. That life lesson has stayed with me and that's the reason why I'm here. I don't know what to say. I'm just grateful that I was able to get that direction so early in my life."


Hoops bolster attack by adding Bucknor
Raúl Hoping Real Madrid Focus Shifts To The Pitch
Aguirre: I Do Not Fear Losing The Atletico Madrid Job