Thursday, February 19, 2009

FCD roll past Memphis in scrimmage

FCD roll past Memphis in scrimmage


FRISCO, Texas -- After being held scoreless for the opening 43 minutes Saturday, FC Dallas struck twice in two minutes through Jeff Cunningham, then added three goals over the final 20 minutes for a 5-1 victory against the University of Memphis in a preseason game at Pizza Hut Park.

Cunningham's brace sent the Hoops on their way, then FCD got goals from Sean Bucknor in the 71st minute, Dax McCarty in the 81st and Jamie Watson in the 84th. Memphis' lone goal came in the 75th when Sean Goulding scored after a poor clearance.

"We scored some goals," FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman said. "I thought it was a little difficult in the first half. There was a lot of enthusiasm on their part. We did a lot of things well but we just didn't execute. It seemed like everything we hit went to the 'keeper.

"At the same time, what I'm looking for is the things we've been working on. I thought our defense was doing a good job. And then the two things we've been working on in the attack, penetration and flank play, I thought we got quite a few crosses from both sides. Again, the finishing wasn't where we want it to be, but that's why it's preseason."

Cunningham might have scored two goals but it was McCarty who was the star of the day for FCD. The fourth-year midfielder spent the opening half at the attacking midfield spot before leaving at the break. He returned to the pitch in the 61st, this time on the right of midfield and made things happened. Besides his goal, McCarty also assisted in FCD's other two goals of the second 45 minutes of play.

"I thought Dax had a really good game," Hyndman said. "I thought Dax had great distribution, quality timing of the pass and scored a great goal. I thought he was very active. He's a completely different player than he was last year. He's very active, skillful at penetrating and passing, and can work on both sides of the ball. When I put him out wide, he was coming into the middle at the right time and getting wide again at the right time. He's a smart player, very technical and he's a competitor. He might have had the best game for him out there. If I had to pick a Man of the Match, he would be one that I would consider very strongly."

Hyndman employed an identical starting 11 to what he used in Monday's scoreless scrimmage with Houston. That included Marcelo Saragosa getting his second consecutive start at right back, a new position for a player better known as a holding midfielder.

"It's a process in motion," Hyndman said. "He's learning. The mistake in the back led to the goal where the ball went off his foot and went into the center. I thought the overlapping, the attacking play and the distribution was good, plus he's so hard to beat in the air. It's a process of learning and we're going to spend more time with him, but he could very well play for us in that position."

In the second half, defender Danny Torres, who just joined the team this week, made his preseason debut at left back. Midfielder Andre Rocha, who also joined the team earlier in the week after visa problems kept him back in Brazil, did not see any action for the Hoops.

Besides McCarty, Bucknor had a goal and an assist for FCD. After McCarty set him up for his goal in the 71st, the native Jamaican returned the favor 10 minutes later, feeding McCarty, who blasted one in from near the top of the restraining arc to make it 4-1.

However, the most amazing tally might have been the final one, scored by Watson. It came under less than ideal circumstances.

"I didn't really expect to play today," he said. "I missed training yesterday because I was sick. I was sick as a dog all day yesterday. So, Josh (Watts), the trainer and Schellas both came in and told me to go home to not get everyone else sick. So I showed up this morning not expecting to play. Then at halftime, he (Hyndman) comes over and tells me that he was going to put me in for the last 20-25 minutes.

"I wanted to play smart because physically, I wasn't feeling my best," Watson continued. "I guess when you're not feeling physically fit, you need to not make mistakes. I got in front of goal with the ball from Dax. It's all on me at that point after he has done all the hard work."

FCD leaves for Florida on Monday, where they will play three games, one against MLS side Colorado, before returning on Feb. 22.


Barcelona Can Win The Copa Del Rey - Henry
Hyndman encouraged by draw with Houston
Dynamo dominate Hoops on flanks
Marcelo Delighted With First Real Madrid Goal