Monday, February 2, 2009

Reds start camp with high expectations

Reds start camp with high expectations


TORONTO -- Like the protective bubble erected over BMO Field in the winter, there are no signs that the bubble of enthusiasm felt amongst Toronto FC's players and coaches for the upcoming season is anywhere close to bursting.

"I'm really excited," said team captain Jim Brennan. "I think there's going to be big things this season. The guys are all here, everybody's buzzing, the coaches are buzzing. Good things are coming for Toronto FC."

The Reds' preseason camp officially began on Monday as the players gathered at BMO Field for medicals and fitness testing, followed by an afternoon training session. The team will spend two more days this week training in Toronto before departing for their full camp in Bradenton, Fla. on Friday.

Nearly the entire roster was on hand on Monday, with the only exceptions being those away on international duty (Marvell Wynne, Amado Guevara, Gabe Gala, Nana Attakora-Gyan) or rehabbing an injury (first-round draft pick O'Brian White).

The offseason news for TFC has been dominated by the acquisition of star midfielder Dwayne De Rosario, a four-time MLS Cup winner in San Jose and Houston. Brennan said he was pleased that the club added not just a top player, but also a fellow Canadian international.

"I've known Dwayne since I was a kid," Brennan said. "We've played a lot together and now he's back home. That's a big motivator. He's playing in front of his friends and family just like I did. He gets the ball and does his own thing, but he's not a selfish player either, he likes to bring other players into the action and into the game. We need someone like that."

Co-captain Carl Robinson said that he is looking forward to playing with De Rosario, but Robinson also noted that the rest of the team can't sit back expect De Rosario to single-handedly put the side into the playoffs.

"Dwayne is a fantastic player but he's one piece of the jigsaw," Robinson said. "There's a lot of pressure on him coming in because people will be expecting him to score 20 goals but the players won't. We know he's a match-winner, he can turn games that are tight for us ... we know he brings quality to the table and adds to the quality we already have."

The talent on the TFC roster played a factor in Robinson's decision to return for a third season in Toronto. The Welsh midfielder was courted by several teams in England, but after consulting with his family, he decided to stay with the Reds.

"It was a big decision I couldn't make lightly," Robinson said. "I had to think with regards to, if I committed myself to Toronto, I maybe might not go back and play in England ever again. For someone who's played 15 years in England, that's hard.

"My two years have been fantastic here. I had some offers to join some super clubs over there, but having said that, this is a super club here. ... I enjoyed my football so much over the last two years that I was willing to extend my future here."

After finishing just four points out a playoff spot in 2008, TFC are looking for a more consistent standard of play in order to earn the club its first postseason berth.

"As a player you want to win things," Robinson said. "It's not about how much money you have, it's about trophies and medals. We should've got into the playoffs last year, we had our run too late, we've got to make sure we don't do that this year. We have pick up results early in the season and continue things on positively after that."

Robinson and striker Danny Dichio had their contracts extended for 2009 in January, while it was announced on Monday that winger Rohan Ricketts had also been signed through the next season. In Dichio's case, the veteran forward was considering retirement before deciding to return for another season.

"It was emotional for me since I've been doing this since I was nine years old," Dichio said. "I felt I was strong enough. I spoke to the coaches, players and some coaches back in England who said you regret it when you retire too young. There is a path I want to take when I'm done my career as a footballer, but I'm not ready for that yet. I still think I can give something to the team."

Monday's session also marked the first time that TFC's 2009 SuperDraft picks had a chance to see their new surroundings. First round picks Sam Cronin (No. 2 overall) and Stefan Frei (No. 13 overall) were highly regarded by many pundits going into the draft, and third-round pick Kyle Hall is both a Toronto native and a member of the Canadian under-23 national team.

Carver said that he hopes these rookies can follow in the footsteps of some other notable SuperDraft picks who have worn the Toronto red.

"We've seen what happened with [2007 SuperDraft No. 1 overall pick] Mo Edu stepping up to the plate and handled the situation. [2006 SuperDraft No. 1 overall pick] Marvell Wynne did a similar thing when he was in New York," Carver said. "I've said to these guys don't think you're coming into a football team where you can't compete for places. Come and compete for the place and if you earn the right, you know what I'm like, I'll play you. ... To be fair as a coach to your players, you have to give everybody an opportunity to step up and earn their due."

Many scouts tabbed Cronin and Frei as two college players that could step in any play right away in MLS, which would be a boost to a Toronto side that fielded some less-than-ideal lineups last year due to injuries and an abundance of international absences. One of those internationals, Jamaican defender Tyrone Marshall, thought the rookies would challenge the veterans in camp.

"We won't be lacking in talent when those competitions come around and that's what we were covering our bases on this year," Marshall said. "It's good when you have depth on your team. It makes a person play a little bit harder and raises your standards, and that helps the team play at a higher level."

The pieces seem to be in place for Toronto FC as the club prepares to head south, and everyone involved with the Reds seems to be chomping at the bit to begin work on the upcoming season.

"I just couldn't wait to get going this morning," said Carver. "I was like a young school kid and was awake early. I was driving to the stadium by 6 a.m."


Barcelona Are The Perfect Team For Me - Dani Alves
Rafa Benitez Hails Returning Liverpool Stars
Spirits high as Chivas USA camp opens