Saturday, November 8, 2008

Eskandarian ready to return for Chivas

Eskandarian ready to return for Chivas


CARSON, Calif. -- After overcoming a groin injury that cost him nearly the first two-thirds of the season, Alecko Eskandarian was nonetheless a key part of Chivas USA's run to the MLS Cup Playoffs.

However, when the Red-and-White lined up to play their most important game of the season, Eskandarian was not even at the stadium.

A knee injury kept the MLS Cup 2004 Most Valuable Player out of Saturday's Western Conference Semifinal Series first leg at Real Salt Lake, and the one-time RSL player was none too happy.

"It was pretty tough to watch," said Eskandarian, who took in the game at home. "I felt like I could have helped the team and it's never fun watching your team struggling when you are sitting at home on a couch. It was frustrating for me to watch but when it's all said and done it's a one-goal lead that we have to overcome."

On Tuesday, however, Eskandarian participated in a full training session and had no immediate setbacks. With Chivas USA trailing 1-0 in the aggregate-goals series, Eskandarian said he intends to play at The Home Depot Center on Saturday.

"I'm looking forward to playing," Eskandarian said. "I wanted to even try and play last weekend but obviously there was no way that was going to happen."

Eskandarian picked up a knee injury in the regular-season finale against Houston. A clean challenge from Houston's Eddie Robinson caused the injury, Eskandarian said, as the two players went for a ball at the same time and Eskandarian's knee was damaged.

In the game, goalkeeper Dan Kennedy was sent off early in the second half. In order to fill the goalkeeper's spot with Zach Thornton, Chivas USA coach Preki took Eskandarian out. At the time, it appeared to have been purely a tactical decision but the injury might also have played a role.

"Right away I knew something was wrong but I kind of jogged it off," Eskandarian said about the injury. "It loosened up on me and it kind of felt better."

Once the game was over, however, Eskandarian said he felt discomfort.

"First half-hour the pain came back so I knew it wasn't the greatest situation," Eskandarian said. "The next day it kind of swelled up on me and I knew I was going to be in doubt for the Real Salt Lake game."

A week of limited training followed but the knee did not heal in enough time to play. Without Eskandarian, Preki tabbed rookie forward Justin Braun to start alongside Ante Razov. Roberto Nurse also appeared in the game as he replaced Braun late in the game. Without Eskandarian, Chivas USA had just three shots and one on goal in the game.

While watching his team play RSL, Eskandarian said he was pretty active himself.

"I couldn't sit down," he said. "I was sitting here in my house, I had the game on and literally every play I was jumping up and down and yelling. My roommate was probably pretty annoyed with how strung-up I was."

Still, such activity was preferable to risking further damage. Even though Chivas USA lost, Eskandarian said the deficit is not insurmountable. When Chivas USA tries to get the goal back, Eskandarian will be around to try and help out on the field.

"Taking the extra couple of days to just do rehab and treatment and rest it a little bit has really helped out a lot and I'm looking forward to playing on Saturday," he said. "No setbacks. First day back you are always a little hesitant to do things. It was a good day and hopefully I'll get better as the week goes on."


Victorine leads new mates past old ones
Mixed Messages On Sevilla Injury Front