Friday, December 26, 2008

Avila looks to build upon rookie season in 2009

Avila looks to build upon rookie season in 2009


FRISCO, Texas -- As SuperDraft day dawned almost exactly one year ago, Cal-Santa Barbara midfielder Eric Avila was projected by many to be selected in the opening round of the 2008 entry draft. However, as events played out that day in Baltimore, Avila slipped to the second round, where he was taken 19th overall by FC Dallas.

Much of the first half of the rookie campaign for the member of the Generation adidas program was spent on the bench, but on June 26 at Houston, Avila made his full professional debut, coming on for the final five minutes of a 1-1 draw with the Dynamo. His first start came on July 4 against Kansas City and he made it count, delivering a great ball to Abe Thompson for a stoppage-time goal that allowed the Hoops to salvage a draw with the Wizards.

In all, Avila appeared in 14 games, three of those starts and logged a pair of assists. It is an experience he is looking to build upon heading into his second season with FCD.

"I think it was good," the southern California native said about his rookie season. "It was an eye-opener for me, I think. I experienced the way the whole system works. I played a couple of games and know how the games go now and all that. I know what to expect and what not to expect. Coming into this year, I got all those little things out of the way. Now I can go out there, work hard, play and do what I can to help the team."

It has been a somewhat busy offseason for Avila. In early December, he was one of four FCD players who ventured across the pond as part of a Generation adidas tour to London, where they played friendlies against the reserve teams from various Premiership sides.

"I thought it was an experience I will never forget," Avila said of his time abroad. "It was cold but it was really nice. We got to play against top teams and top players. Just going out there, playing against them and seeing where we were at was something that was good for me."

Just after the end of the season, FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman said he would like to see Avila become a better defender heading into 2009. The native of San Diego clearly has taken those words to heart, especially while in London.

"I was playing attacking center mid in all three games and it was really good," he said. "I attacked a lot more and my defense was great because we were playing against great teams and they kept moving the ball. I was trying to defend one of their best players, which I think I did really well. I did think about that while I was over there on that trip."

Making the adjustment from college to the professional ranks can be a tough transition for any player. However, Avila's transition was eased a bit by veteran midfielder Pablo Ricchetti, who several weeks ago expressed his displeasure with his contract situation and rumors have even surfaced about his possible departure, something Avila does not want to see happen.

"I love Pablo (Ricchetti) and would hate to see him go if he does," Avila said. "He taught me a lot of things. For him to leave, I would have to find a lot of things out on my own. I would have to find my credentials out there and motivation to keep myself going. Pablo was always reminding me to keep going and keep going."

Early next year, Avila will be on the move again as he and two FCD teammates will be heading to Brazil for a two-week training stint with Clube Atletico Paranaense, the Hoops' South American partner.

"I think it's something that will be great for me," he said of the trip to Brazil. "We're not doing anything in the off-season and I have no plans to go and play. So when this came up, it was perfect. I will be training with the CAP first team twice a day and getting ready for the season. After that, I think I will be ready to go."

With the 2009 season set to start nearly two weeks earlier than was the case in 2008 that means a compressed winter, something that is fine with Avila, who wants to prove to Hyndman that he can be an effective two-way attacking midfielder.

"I'm excited," he said. "I want it to start now. I'm really hoping that things go well and then we'll see where it takes me with the preseason because you never know. I'm ready to go in there and show him (Hyndman) that I have been working on it (my defense) and hopefully he gives me a chance."


Johnson Honoured By Real Madrid Interest
College Cup memories for Hoops trio
Generation adidas team announced