Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cunningham hungry for success

Cunningham hungry for success


FRISCO, Texas -- When FC Dallas traded for Jeff Cunningham late in the year, there was some question whether the swap with Toronto FC would work out. But in 11 games with his new club, the veteran striker had five goals and two assists, and by the end of the year he and Kenny Cooper had evolved into a formidable strike tandem.

While the possibility of Cooper going to Europe after the first of the year is still a point of continual speculation, adding to the situation is that Cunningham is now out of contract. FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman has said that he would like to bring the veteran back. But in what promises to be an offseason filled with change for the Hoops, truly anything can happen.

Cunningham does want to return to the club. But when asked to rate his performance during his time at FCD, he minced few words.

"Well, my thing is the team brought me in to try and help make a difference in the last few games, to help them make the playoffs and that didn't happen," he said. "So, as a result, I feel like I failed and we failed. We didn't meet our goals and that's it. I'm really disappointed and frustrated. That's it."

The 32-year-old forward has no illusions about what he has to do to return to the top level he showed in 2006 when he won the Budweiser Golden Boot while with Real Salt Lake. But he is far from saying his career is on the downward slope.

"I've got to get better," Cunningham said. "I've got to improve. The last few years, I haven't been in a stable environment. Every year there have been rumors of change and uncertainty about where I was going to be. I think as of right now, I think I'm going to be part of FC Dallas unless things change after this interview. I know now that I'm going to be part of this team, so I just want to improve and in all areas.

"I feel like I can have another season like '06. I feel good and feel more motivated now because I have some young players that are pushing me," Cunningham added. "I see Kenny almost winning the Golden Boot and know I can be one of the top players in the league, goal scorers. I just want to come out and prove that I can have my best year next year."

The seasoned scorer has changed teams three times since coming to MLS and knows that there are no guarantees in this league or any other.

"My experience in the league is that there are no certainties," he said. "You never know. I don't know what the future holds but as of right now, I'm hoping to be part of the team next year but that's it."

Cunningham's offseason program could include relocating his wife and infant daughter from Toronto to north Texas so he could take advantage of warmer weather to prepare for the coming season.

"This offseason is extremely important for me to have a steady workout program. I think with the weather here, it would be better for me to be here," he said. "I'm sure they're going to join me wherever, here. Hopefully we can agree on a contract and make that move to be more settled, get a house and have some stability for a while, at least while I'm here."

He calls the facilities at Pizza Hut Park some of the best he has seen since he has been playing the world's game. "That's one of the best facilities I've seen in a while," Cunningham said. "I've seen the IMG Workout Center in Bradenton (Florida) that a lot of other athletes are using. It's great with the weather. You have 10 fields to come out and train at and the resources are all here. It's really up to you to make that commitment to improve. The club has provided every resource for us to improve as players."

For Cunningham, the digs in Frisco are a big step up from the offseason situation with one of his former employers.

"It's not like one of my former teams where I had to pay $2,000 to get a club membership," he said. "That's kind of ridiculous. Here you have access to good trainers and good fields, the weather is good to train and you have young players that are eager to improve. We don't have time to build into the season. We have to come in at 100 percent. That's going to put a lot of importance on our offseason training."

Before FCD wrapped up their training until 2008, Cunningham could be seen working after practice with some of the younger players.

"I don't really think it's a mentor role," he said of his extra work. "I look at all the young players and every single one of them is eager to improve and be in the first team. I don't like it but it's a matter of survival. You see a guy like Kenny that nearly won the Golden Boot and is probably one of the hardest workers on the team. You don't have a choice but to match that."

In his eyes, it's all part of soccer being a yearlong job.

"There is no offseason any more," Cunningham said. "You're forced to keep up. You've got guys that are in the national team who are going to be at a good level and joining the team in the preseason. They're going to bring in players, college players that are going to be finishing up their season. So, it's important to stay after, work with the young boys and keep up with them.

"It's a matter of survival nowadays," he continued. "It's not like a former club where you had 20 old guys that didn't want to do any workouts. Here you have 20 young guys that are pushing you to improve. I feel like I have a lot to prove next year and I'm looking forward to it. I know I can play. I see all the players they have brought into the league and the players all year and know that I can still contribute. I'm going to let this frustration (of not making the playoffs) go and look forward to next year."


I Did Not Just Come Here To Win - Emery
Cooper caps special season at Gala
Emery: Copa Clash No Waste Of Time