Sunday, December 14, 2008

Zusi, Gonzalez star on Terps' Cup run

Zusi, Gonzalez star on Terps Cup run


FRISCO, Texas -- Graham Zusi scored both Maryland goals, game-winners at that, to lead the Terrapins to the 2008 NCAA Men's College Cup title. Omar Gonzalez anchored a backline that kept clean sheets in both of the final four wins. So, it was no big surprise when Zusi was named the event's Most Outstanding Offensive Player and Gonzalez the tournament's Most Outstanding Defensive Player for the new national champs.

Zusi's first bit of heroics came in the second overtime of Friday's national semifinal with St. John's. The sides were scoreless after 104 minutes of play until Zusi stepped up and ended the match with a goal directly off a free kick from 25 yards out to give the Terps a 1-0 victory.

In Sunday's match, Zusi struck paydirt for the Terrapins at the 66-minute mark. His goal came after a Doug Rodkey cross from the right flank was met by Jeremy Hall whose shot was deflected by a UNC player. That carom fell to Zusi, who curled a shot inside the left post for the game's only goal.

Zusi, Gonzalez star on Terps Cup run

NCAA COLLEGE CUPNEWS • Zusi leads Terps to College Cup win
• Terps duo stars in Cup run
• Close wins set up All-ACC Cup final
• College Cup notes: Defenses key
• College Cup semis kick off in Texas
• College Cup notes: Hometown boys
• Top MLS prospects in College Cup
• '09 adidas MLS Combine invitees
• Finalists share impressive pedigree
• ACC shines as Cup takes shape
• College Cup memories for Hoops trio
SIGHTS & SOUNDS

Zusi, Gonzalez star on Terps Cup run

Photo Gallery: Top Prospects >

"Once again, the right player, a senior scores the game-winner," Maryland head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "I couldn't be happier for him or our whole team."

It was the second time as a collegian that the Maryland forward had played on a national championship team. Zusi was also on the school's 2005 title squad.

"What more can you ask for, really," he said. "Both teams are special in their own ways. I was extremely happy to be part of this one. Everything about it was incredible."

Zusi, a senior from Longwood, Fla., was the center of the Maryland attack throughout the weekend. His two goals in the final four gave him six on the season, and 28 for his four-year career. Zusi is one of 65 collegians who has been invited to next month's MLS Player Combine in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. in the week leading up to the 2009 SuperDraft.

"When Jeremy (Hall) took the shot initially, it got deflected and I thought the ball was shielded from the goalie between the defender and Jeremy right in front of me," Zusi said. "So I was just trying to curl it around him. I don't really know (what happened). I guess it is a little bit of being in the right place. I try to step up at the right time when my team needs me the most."

Earlier in the year, when Zusi was struggling after a road loss at Clemson, he remembers a pep talk from Cirovski that really built his confidence.

"Sasho told me that I did have it in me," he recalled. "It was just a matter of me buying into it."

Following the win, he was congratulated by UNC midfielder Garry Lewis, who was a high school teammate of Zusi's at Lake Brantley H.S. in Florida.

"He was very congratulatory," Zusi said. "He's a great player and a very strong and solid midfielder. He also told me best of luck in the future."

Sunday was also a big day for Gonzalez and the entire UM back line. The Dallas native and 2007 ACC Defender of the Year helped anchor a unit that logged its school-record 15th shutout in the championship game and won its 16th consecutive match.

Gonzalez, who has previously trained with FC Dallas in the offseason, was not only very pleased to play a prominent role in Maryland's title-clinching win, but he was also happy to do so in front of countless friends and family.

"Every one of them (was here)," Gonzalez said. "I don't know how many but I would say close friends of the family where there, my rec coach and club coach growing up were there. Just seeing all those guys and thanking them for playing the game of soccer and seeing all my friends and family there was incredible. My brother, mom and dad were here but my sisters couldn't make it. My girlfriend came down too from Maryland."

The 6-foot-5 defender, who was a U.S. U-17 international and scored five goals this season to give him seven for his three years at Maryland, was nearly overwhelmed at winning a national title for the first time.

"I don't really know what to say," he said. "Right when that final whistle blew, I stopped didn't go anywhere and took it all in. I just saw everyone running everywhere and I was just looking at my family and all the fans that came down here from Maryland. I appreciated all the support that they have us and I think I might have blacked out."


Mantovani Ecstatic Following First Serie A Goal
Player Ratings: Villarreal 4-4 Atlético de Madrid
Zusi leads Maryland to College Cup
ACC foes to square off in College Cup