Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hoops eye South American talent

Hoops eye South American talent


FRISCO, Texas -- FC Dallas head coach Schellas Hyndman and top assistant John Ellinger have returned from a nearly two-week trip to South America, where the pair took in games at both River Plate in Argentina and at Clube Atletico Paranaense (CAP), the Hoops' South American partner in Brazil.

"The trip to Argentina was very, very useful," he said. "I think the positives from our trip were identifying players for immediate help and 20 identifying players for future help. There was one very good player that was brought in from the (River Plate under) 17s to the first team that they think will be starting next year. There was also a player from Argentina that was called into the under-20 national team that I was interested in, but they have bigger plans for him."

Last season, FCD was one of the youngest teams in MLS. So Hyndman definitely wasn't looking to make his roster any younger while in South America.

"The thing I tried to stay away from was reserve players," he said. "I don't think we need any more young players. I think this is a double-edged sword for us. We talk about our future because we have got so many good young players, but I don't know if we need any more good young players. I think we need established players, players with experience who can help our young players grow. So I chose not to look at their reserve players very seriously."

Hyndman admitted that a pair of players from FCD's Brazilian partner that caught his eye.

"There are players from Atlйtico Paranaense that we are making offers to," he said. "One's a second striker, another one is a defender."

Those players definitely fit with what needs Hyndman has expressed for his team going forward.

"I think we need a couple positions," he said. "We need a center back who can bring some experience, a little bit of athletic ability, maybe a little bit of hardness, somebody who is aggressive, can win some balls in the air and make you pay a little bit if you come in there.

"I would like to see a left-sided midfielder," Hyndman continued. "We did not pick up (Victor) Sikora's option because we just didn't see enough. Sikora is a player we brought in for Arturo Alvarez, but we never got Victor on the field till the end and it was just one game. Even though he did OK in that game and scored a goal, I just didn't see enough. So I think we need a left-sided midfielder."

But FCD's top need might be an attacking midfielder.

"As badly as Bruno (Guarda) may not want to hear this, I think we may need a true No. 10," Hyndman said. "I think we need a true No. 10 that is a (Guillermo Barros) Schelotto type or a (Dwayne) De Rosario type -- a player that can change the game, a player that can score goals, a player that can make the killer pass. Of course, if we lose Kenny (Cooper), then we need a striker. But right now I think (our most pressing needs are) a strong defender, a flank player on the left side, and a true No. 10."


Agüero: I Still Have Much To Learn
Hoops frustrated with result
Maradona: I Laugh At My Critics