Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Davino injury puts Moor in spotlight

FRISCO, Texas -- In his four seasons in MLS, FC Dallas defender Drew Moor has shown his versatility. The Dallas native has played both as a fullback and a center back, whether in a three-back alignment or in a back four.

With FCD captain Duilio Davino out with a toe fracture and Adrian Serioux continuing at right back, Moor has moved into central defense for the last two games, where he has been paired with Aaron Pitchkolan. In those matches, the Hoops have kept one clean sheet and allowed just two goals. It's a pairing that will continue this weekend as Davino is still out.

"I think he's a solid defender in this league and a great leader," said FCD head Schellas Hyndman. "Losing Duilio, he has really stepped in. All we wanted to do was get Drew (Moor) into a central position. I think he's a better center back than he is a flank back. I think Drew brings more of those leadership qualities. Part of leadership is communication and I think he does a good job of that. He communicates well with everyone and they feel more comfortable back there. I think in many ways, Drew is part of the reason we have found some success back there."

Moor wouldn't call being in the middle more comfortable, but he did characterize that spot as being a more natural one.

"I wouldn't say it's necessarily a comfort thing, I think I feel that's a little bit more my spot," he said. "I think in terms of comfort, I'm pretty comfortable at right back because I have played there for a year and a half now. Center back comes to me a little bit easier because it's easier to keep things in front and it's easier with the ball. I'll step in wherever (Hyndman) feels most comfortable with me."

Moor admits that playing inside with Pitchkolan is something he enjoys, especially considering that they both joined FCD in 2005 and have played together ever since.

"I think he plays a lot like me," Moor said of Pitchkolan. "We communicate a lot. It's all about recognizing when to step, when to stay and when to pass guys on. He and I have a feel for each other. I think a lot of that has to do with us being here for three and half years now and playing together all this time. We've been on the field together a lot. He's very versatile and that helps me and our partnership."

Pitchkolan has also noticed how much Moor has meant to the FCD backline, no matter where he plays.

"Obviously, we've known each other for a while after coming out the same year. It's been 3-1/2 years that we've been playing together. When you've been playing with someone for that long, you know their tendencies and understand each other. I think that helps a lot," he said. "I think he's shown versatility. He played left back in college and has played right back and center back here. I think he's comfortable in all those positions."

FCD holding midfielder Pablo Ricchetti has also taken notice of the solid play behind him.

"I don't know where he prefers to play but I think he can play well at right back as well as at center back," Ricchetti said. "We've done very well in our last few games. I think that's what is important, that we are working well together on defense. It doesn't matter who plays where, we are doing good work. Things are going well and hopefully we can keep it at that level or maybe raise it a little bit to benefit the team."

After starting the year playing on the right side in the 3-5-2, Moor admits he is better suited to play in the 4-4-2 that Hyndman has finally put in place.

"With the personnel that we have on this team right now, I think the 4-4-2 is better," he said. "You get the width with both midfielder and outside back. Defensively, you have an extra guy in the back. I think it's just something that this team responds to a little bit better."

The year has been an eventful one for Moor. Besides the coaching change at FCD and the switch in formations, he has also played for the U.S. national team on three occasions, most recently in a World Cup qualifier at Barbados on June 22.

"It (this year) has definitely been a little bit of a rollercoaster ride but something that I think has helped me grow in confidence," he said. "I've gotten call-ups which have been great. I've gained valuable experience at the international level and want to hopefully continue to be called in. I just want to continue doing well here for FC Dallas.

"I think Schellas (Hyndman) has come in, done a great job and the players have responded to him so well. I think we're starting to bring the best out of each other," Moor continued. "I know I'm definitely excited about the last 10 games of the season and then going into the postseason. I just want to continue to work hard and hopefully get some call-ups as well."


Hyndman finds positives in loss
Season Over For Arteta