Saturday, August 9, 2008

Home sweet home for Hoops' Watson

Home sweet home for Hoops' Watson
FRISCO, Texas -- FC Dallas midfielder Jamie Watson has found that, indeed, you can go home again.

The Coppell, Texas native started the year with Real Salt Lake before being released. Then, he tried to catch on with FCD during preseason but that also didn't work out. Watson then trekked to Toronto FC and looked to land a spot with the Reds.

However, that opportunity also didn't work out. So, Watson made his way back to the Lone Star State to play for the Austin Aztex of the PDL. After a successful stint in the state capital, he was signed to a developmental deal by FCD last Friday and couldn't be happier.

"I don't think the timing was right with (former FCD head coach) Steve (Morrow)," Watson said. "I wanted to play here but the situation wasn't right with the roster. Then, some things opened up and so, when Schellas (Hyndman) and (ex-RSL coach) John (Ellinger) took over, I talked to them. I had already started in with Austin and was doing well.

"I needed to get games in because I hadn't played consistently in a long time. I talked to them and they were glad that I was doing well and scoring. They told me to commit to them for their season and that as soon as I was done, I could come in with them. It ended up working out because I did well there and the team did well also. The guys were great and I enjoyed every second of it down there. That ended and I quickly jumped into things with these guys. It's been fun because I'm back at home and playing with all the guys."

Ellinger, who is Hyndman's top assistant with the Hoops, is happy to have Watson playing for him once again.

"It's positive to have an extra addition to the team with what he brings. One thing I have always liked about him as a player is that he's always had that chip on his shoulder and isn't afraid to work. He feels that he can have a positive impact in any game whether it's an assist or a goal," Ellinger said. "He kind of lost it for a little bit, so I think it was important for him to go down and his experience at Austin was great. I think it was good for him to get the games, some goals, assists, play on a winning team and then he came back."

The FCD assistant feels that Watson brings a number of things to the table that can help the Hoops.

"He kind of gives us what we need right now, a little extra bite on the flanks," Ellinger said. "We know he can play forward but I think down the road, his position will be as a wide player. He's a great server and has really worked hard. I think it was after the first year in Salt Lake that I told him that I didn't know if he would make it as a forward in this league and to start working with his service. He's done a lot with himself and I'm very proud of him for that."

On Wednesday, the RSL reserves took on the FCD reserves and Watson was front and center. The newest member of the Hoops had a pair of goals in a 3-2 loss.

After the year that he has had, Watson is glad to have landed somewhere so close to home.

"I feel like I could write a book on the last eight months of my life," he said. "It's one of those things that I never expected to happen because I thought I had another year left (at Real Salt Lake). Everyone that knew my situation knew that also but somehow, there was a little loophole that was found in there. It was one of those situations where I didn't have as much say so as I thought I should have.

"I put a lot of miles on in the preseason trying to catch on somewhere. But I would go somewhere and it wasn't a good situation for me or the team," he continued. "It made me grow up. It was probably the best thing that could have happened because I was young and feel like I have matured because of it. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that I was in a situation where I wasn't wanted any more. It's tough when you want to be there but you're not wanted. I don't hold any animosity toward the people there. I wish it would have ended differently but had to move on and deal with it."

Ellinger also sees Watson as being a more mature player than the one he coached during his time on the Wasatch Front.

"I think that process has happened to his benefit, that maturity," he said. "He's not that naïve kid coming out as a sophomore at North Carolina and entering the pro ranks. Now, he understands a little bit more about what it takes. He's had a taste, lost it and has had to work hard to get back to it. I think that experience is what has driven him. Now he doesn't take anything for granted."

Over the weekend, Watson got an added bonus when he was on the 18-man game roster for FCD's 2-0 win against Toronto FC at BMO Field, where he got to see many of the same guys he trained with during preseason.

"It was cool because I saw Jimmy Brennan come out first and I went over and gave him a hug because he was one of the guys that I spent a lot of time with in the preseason, him and Danny Dichio," Watson said. "Then, everyone came over and gave me a big hug. I really enjoyed it there."

"That was a situation where it didn't work out but I got along well with everyone because they're a great group of guys. It was good to be back and see everybody but I wanted to win. It ended up working out. It was funny because Marco Velez, who got a red card, we only got to talk briefly before the game but we were going to talk after and then, he got sent off. I roomed with him for a month but couldn't talk to him after because of that."


US CLAIM CURTIS CUP VICTORY
Ellinger brings experience to FCD staff
WATSON CAUGHT NAPPING
FCD revitalized after short break