Sunday, August 3, 2008

Guarda follows Hyndman to Hoops

Guarda follows Hyndman to Hoops
FRISCO, Texas -- In late February, Bruno Guarda was playing for Southern Methodist University and head coach Schellas Hyndman in a scrimmage with FC Dallas, with thoughts of his senior season with the Mustangs and a possible run at a national championship. Now, several months later, the Brazilian midfielder has found himself again under Hyndman's tutelage -- but this time with FCD.

Earlier this week, the Hoops completed a trade with Colorado to acquire Guarda, the Conference USA Player of the Year each of the last two seasons who has also twice been a semifinalist for the Hermann Trophy, given annually to the nation's top collegiate player.

Guarda is excited to be playing for Hyndman once again.

"It's exciting to continue to have the coach that I've had for the past three years at SMU," he said. "As I said before, he knows what I can do and I know what he can do. It's exciting. Every day, I'm working hard and getting ready for the next match."

Born in Piracicaba, Brazil, Guarda has been in the Dallas-Fort Worth area since 2002 and played high school soccer in nearby Arlington. Beginning his professional career in Big D is probably the perfect situation.

"In life, you've got to have high hopes for what you want to do," Guarda said. "You've got to search for what you want because it's not going to just come to you and say here it is. I knew that FC Dallas has always contacted me and we played against them a couple of times. I love Dallas and didn't want to leave here. So, I am so excited that they made a trade."

Hyndman is equally pleased to have his former collegiate star back under his direction.

"It's great to have Bruno here," he said. "I think he's a very good college player. He has a disadvantage coming here while everybody else is in season. His last college game was in the fall. So, his sharpness, fitness and timing isn't at this level. I think that if he just came out of college, it would be a little bit more but right now, it's going to be a bit of an adjustment stage.

"I also see him as a future player for FC Dallas otherwise we wouldn't have worked so hard to get him," Hyndman continued. "I'm very happy to have him here. It's another player who understands what I'm looking for."

Coming to FCD means that Guarda is also reunited with midfielder Chase Wileman, who was a teammate at SMU for two seasons.

"When I got to SMU my freshman year, he was a junior," Guarda said. "So, I played with Chase for two years. He is an incredible player. I think it's kind of hard to find a better left foot than what he has. He's a great player and a good friend of mine. I'm happy to be playing with him again."

Wileman, who made his MLS debut on Sunday and got an assist in the 4-0 win against LA, is also pleased to be Guarda's teammate yet again.

"Bruno is a great player," Wileman said. "I'm glad he's on our team and not on another team. We played together two years at SMU and always combined well together. I know that the guys are glad to have him here. He's an international player and we have a lot of those on our team. I'm sure he'll fit in fine. With more practice, he'll become more fit and ready to go."

With Guarda set to return for his senior season and the 2008 NCAA College Cup set for Pizza Hut Park, SMU was considered a contender to at least reach the final four. However, things changed a bit when Hyndman left the Hilltop in mid-June to coach in MLS.

"When I got there my freshman year, Schellas and I made a commitment that we were going to stick together for SMU," Guarda said. "I think when he left, it broke the chain a little bit. I didn't know who the coach was going to be and my family and I had made a decision to move on and hopefully be in Dallas. That's what happened."

Even though he only has two practices under his belt with FCD, he has already noticed some pretty big differences between the college and pro game.

"It's soccer but it's different," Guarda said. "The college game is not as fast. It's a more physical game here and you have to play with a smarter mentality. Sometimes in college, you can still win if you don't play well. But in the pros, you've always got to step up your game and focus. There is a lot more focus in the pros on the speed and the physical game."

Guarda also becomes the fourth Brazilian player on the FCD roster, joining midfielders Andre Rocha and Marcelo Saragosa plus striker Ricardinho.

"They are great guys," he said. "We have three other Brazilians here and they are great players. They have been teaching me a lot and are good guys to listen to. Any time I have a question, I can go to them."

Hyndman's expectations of Guarda haven't changed in the least.

"I expect him to be on the hardest working players every day in practice because he realizes that he's not there yet," Hyndman said. "I won't put him out on the field until he's ready to contribute."


Hoops eye first league win since June
Highly motivated Hoops break out
Aliadiere Tips McGeady For Gunners Move