Sunday, August 31, 2008

Evans showing goal-scoring touch

COLUMBUS -- That there is a goal scorer's mentality lurking inside of Brad Evans is no coincidence.

The second-year Columbus Crew center midfielder has a goal in each of the past two games and four for the season to help his squad into a first-place tie in the Eastern Conference with New England heading into Saturday's match at FC Dallas.

He has scored on the counterattack and with driving headers that would make a forward proud. In fact, that's where he played for the University of California-Irvine, netting 31 career goals.

When Evans gets around the box, he knows what to do.

"I've been there before through college. I scored a few goals," he said.

Crew coach Sigi Schmid drafted him last year but wasn't sure what role Evans would fill.

"I had him with the [U.S.] under-20 team and saw him quite a bit in college," said Schmid, whose son Kyle is senior defender for UC Irvine while another son, Kurt, is now an assistant for the Anteaters. "I felt at that time in the draft when he was still available, he was a good athlete. I didn't know what position he was going to play because he was a forward in college and in the under-20s I played him at center back a little bit and outside back. Eventually I figured he would end up somewhere in the midfield."

Evans recalls playing one game at center back for the U-20s, "I also played right back at the under-20 championships. I think I even played left back at one time. It's good. It puts you on the field but you like to find your niche. Center mid is where I'll be playing."

In many respects, Evans is still finding his way through the pro game after an aborted first year. He appeared in four matches but missed the final 16 games because of a strained left hip flexor.

"I look at this as my rookie year because I was healthy for about two months total," Evans said. "I'm looking at this as a fresh start and blessed to be healthy right now. You're healthy all through college, you get a shot and you're all excited. You come in and things happen. You work hard to get back. I didn't touch a ball until January. I'm super happy to be healthy."

His offensive skills are one reason the Crew is third in league scoring with 34 goals. Finding openings has been important for Evans and the other midfielders, said forward Alejandro Moreno.

"The way we play I'm going to be up high with a lot of mobility, working side-to-side. In order for us to create some spaces there has to be some second runs from either Guillermo (Barros Schelotto) or the midfielders and we've been getting that," Moreno said. "As you see when we get that from Brad or Brian Carroll they're usually open at the top of the box with late runs. If we get good balls into them they've got a good chance to score. They're taking advantage of the opportunities."

Evans notched his first score in the second half at San Jose on May 10 on the end of a counterattack. The goal proved to be decisive in a 3-2 win.

"He always scored goals in college. He's had that capability. He's good in the air. He strikes the ball well," Schmid said. "I'm not surprised by his scoring. He and (Adam) Moffat and Carroll and the outside midfielders have given us goals. That's important to the offense.

"With Guillermo dropping off the front line a little bit and the outside forwards really getting into the attack, the defensive attention is on those four guys and sometimes the fifth guy is coming in. We've talked a lot about not getting in in advance of the play, coming in late. It's a lot harder for the defense to pick you up if you're running toward the box late. If you're there early they can sort it out."

Goal No. 2 for Evans ignited the Crew to rally from a 2-0 deficit at Los Angeles on June 21 into a 3-3 tie. Against FC Dallas on Aug. 16, his header off a Schelotto free kick in the 65th minute earned the Crew three points in a 2-1 victory. Last week he drilled another header for the third goal in a 3-0 win against Real Salt Lake.

He's not guaranteeing a continuation of his goal streak Saturday in Pizza Hut Park but, "If the service is there hopefully I'll be there. You always hope for goals but if they don't come, no problem, there's next week," he said. "I think I've found my niche in the middle. I guess it's a little knack for scoring and for me to get some points."


Lenhart’s energy key in comeback draw
The Bundesliga’s goal-machine
Bochum acquire two players