Monday, August 25, 2008

McCarty bringing Olympic experience home

FRISCO, Texas -- The result might not have been as hoped for and the stay shorter than planned, but third-year FC Dallas midfielder Dax McCarty is ready to bring his U.S. Olympic team experience to his club for the homestretch of the Major League Soccer season.

In China, McCarty saw action in one match. His last league appearance came July 19, which was his first start since April 24. But following surgery for a sports hernia which forced him out of action in May and June, McCarty said his time with the U.S. Olympic team has helped him feel sharper on the field.

"I think being able to be over there with the trainers 24/7 and being able to get treatment really did wonders for my back and groin," McCarty said. "I feel really good. I'm definitely hoping that this keeps up and that I can get to 100 percent because I haven't felt that way in a really long time. It feels good to finally train without any little problems here and there."

FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman is glad to have his young midfielder back in the fold.

"We're very glad to have Dax back and glad that he has the experience of going to the Olympics," Hyndman said. "It's a lifetime dream for him but we're also happy to have him back. He looks sharper. He looks healthier and there's a spot for him on this team."

If McCarty is to return to the starting 11, he would do so either at the attacking midfield spot, which is currently held by rookie Eric Avila or wide on the right, where Andre Rocha has played and struggled for the second half of the season.

"I think it's one of those two (spots)," Hyndman said. "Part of this environment is competition and players don't like it. They would rather know that they're starting all the time. All of a sudden, there's a new striker in town in Jeff Cunningham and somebody is going to be off. When we get Dax back and he's healthy, somebody could also be off."

While Hyndman had expressed a preference to play a 4-4-2 system before McCarty had left, the Hoops were still mainly playing a 3-5-2. But since going to China, the 4-4-2 has been settled on, and McCarty is looking to establish his place in the team.

"I'm comfortable anywhere in the midfield and I think Schellas knows that. Everyone knows that I'm a pretty versatile guy. I think my best position is in the middle of the field, where I can get forward and defend," McCarty said.

"A more attacking role is something I would relish and have no problem with. I feel like my qualities going forward are good enough to play that spot. But I'm a two-way midfielder. I like to defend and help out in there. If I'm playing out wide or in the middle, it doesn't really matter to me. I just want to be on the field. It's going to be a fight to get my spot back and I have no problem with that. I just want us to win and hopefully I can be part of it."

But that doesn't mean he wouldn't bring plenty to the right flank.

"I feel like my services are good from out wide," McCarty said. "It's definitely a position that I'm comfortable with and have played before with other coaches. Schellas knows what I can do, how effective I can be out wide and how effective I can be in the middle."

However, McCarty realizes that he can't just start training again and reclaim his starting spot right away. That is something he knows will take time.

"You can never just come in and walk right back into the lineup," he said. "There's a little bit of a time period where you have to prove yourself all over again. I'm just looking to do that and the main thing is that our team is winning. If our team is winning, then I'm happy."

After returning last week, McCarty told Hyndman he could play some at Columbus, but the FCD coach decided to rest him instead.

"I'm starting to get my legs back," McCarty said. "Traveling that far and long definitely takes its toll on you. I told Schellas that if he needed me for Columbus, I would be ready but he gave me a little bit of a rest. I'm obviously looking to come back, contribute and help the team any way that I can. I feel as close to 100 percent as I have in a long time and that's really important for me. I feel like I really got over the hump in China in terms of my injuries. I'm really starting to feel good. It's just a matter of working hard in training and hopefully getting some minutes here and there to contribute and help the team for a playoff spot."

Since McCarty left in late July, FCD has traded Arturo Alvarez, Juan Toja left for Europe while Jeff Cunningham and Victor Sikora both joined the team.

"It's crazy how things happen," he said. "Arturo and Toja both left and I think that was what they wanted. At the same time, it's good for us because we got some new players in here that can get the job done. It's a little bit different team but the mentality is the same and everyone is on the same page. We're obviously looking to make the playoffs and go from there."

After being left off the original U.S. Olympic roster, McCarty learned on July 24 he would be going to the Beijing Games after close friend Nathan Sturgis of Real Salt Lake was unable to play due to injury.

"It was a little bit bittersweet," he admitted. "He (Sturgis) is a good friend and I would never wish injury on anyone. It was an honor to be called in. Even though I would have liked to have been named to the initial roster, it's still a fantastic feeling and something that I took in stride. I just wanted to try my best and give the team whatever they needed by being a role player. I think we did well as a team and I tried to contribute any way that I could."

The only time that he saw with the U.S. was in what proved to be their final match, a 2-1 loss to Nigeria on Aug. 13 that sealed the USA's elimination. McCarty said he was disappointed not to see more time.

"When you get to that level, every player is good and expects to play. I was no different. I definitely wanted to play more but wanted to be a good teammate and not complain or put my head down. If I got my number called, I just wanted to be ready, McCarty said. "Luckily, I stayed positive and got a couple minutes against Nigeria. I definitely wanted us to win that game and it was a tough result going out. I definitely wanted to play more but I was happy with just being there."

Like many who have been there, McCarty called getting to walk in the Opening Ceremonies as one of the most memorable parts of his Olympic experience.

"That was probably the most unforgettable part," he said. "I'll never forget that. It's kind of cool because we didn't really know that we would be going. Then at the last second, it kind of opened up for us and we ended up being able to go. That's an experience that I will keep with me forever and be able to tell everyone about. It's definitely something special."

McCarty's experience also included getting to meet his share of famous people.

"I met President Bush and got a picture with him," he said. "I'm a little biased with Dwight Howard since I'm from Orlando and he plays for the Magic. So, I got to talk to him for a bit and a picture with him. I saw Dirk Nowitzki because Germany was right next to us. So, I talked to him, told him I played for FC Dallas and got a picture with him. I also talked to Kobe Bryant, Carlos Boozer and Dwyane Wade. They were all really nice guys. That was a cool experience."

While the final result might have been a disappointment, it truly was a once-in-a-lifetime happening.

"It was definitely the experience of a lifetime," he said. "Not many people can say they were a part of something that special and that big. It was fantastic. We had a great team and everyone on the team got along. It was a great group of guys and a pleasure to be part of it."


Hyndman still left searching
No Olympics for Kaka