Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ricchetti finds role with rolling Hoops

Ricchetti finds role with rolling Hoops
FRISCO, Texas -- While four goals from Kenny Cooper have certainly been the big story of FC Dallas' current two-game winning streak, equally important to the wins were the continuing solid performances from defensive midfielder Pablo Ricchetti.

The 31-year-old Argentinean, in his second MLS season, has played in all but one match for the Hoops this year including 16 starts, and has two assists.

Like many of his teammates, Ricchetti seemed to struggle under the 3-5-2 formation that was employed by former FCD coach Steve Morrow. After Morrow was relieved of his duties in mid-May and his replacement Schellas Hyndman came on in mid-June, there was an acclimation period as Hyndman installed the 4-4-2 as his preferred formation.

It might have taken a while but FCD is clearly more comfortable in the 4-4-2 and that definitely includes Ricchetti, who has really shown top form in the Hoops' last two wins.

"Going into the 4-4-2, he understands his role as the only defending midfielder," Hyndman said. "When we were in the 3-5-2, he was sharing responsibilities with another player and sometimes was out of shape. Now, he can be in the right place at the right time and help that defensive structure. He's the first line of defending before it gets to our defense and has excelled in that position."

Ricchetti agrees that he feels more comfortable now than he did in the 3-5-2.

"I feel better in the 4-4-2," he said. "We just had to be in the right places. We have played really compact and well as team. We knew that the results would start to come. When you're playing well and the team is looking better, it's easier."

In the 3-5-2, Ricchetti often shared the deep midfield role with Marcelo Saragosa, which led to confusion.

"I feel better playing alone in the 4-4-2," Ricchetti said. "I have more responsibility on defense but can take every ball from the back four, which is what I like. To me, it's better when I play alone. I think the team plays better with just one guy there. To me, it's better like that."

In the last two matches, Hyndman has started Ricchetti at the defensive midfield spot while rookie Eric Avila has played the attacking role.

"Eric (Avila) has also helped him (Ricchetti)," Hyndman said. "He is a little bit more energized, mobile and works on both sides of the ball. That helps when you have an attacking midfielder that wants to be part of that."

Ricchetti concurs. "To me, we are feeling really good playing together," he said. "We have had two great games out there together. We have played solid defensively and he has played really well on offense. He's young, has a lot of energy and a lot of mobility. For us, it's good. We know that we can play better and can get better with every game. We know that will be good for us and for the team."

Not only does Ricchetti feed off Avila's energy but the young rookie also wants to do his best every time he hits the field because of the immense amount of respect that he has for his veteran teammate.

"He's a well-respected player and he's older," Avila said. "Me stepping on the field means that I have to work for him. He's earned the respect to keep back and clean up everything. So, it puts me in a spot if I'm playing with him, it makes me work. He organizes me well."

In fact, Avila gives Ricchetti credit for having influenced him most since coming to FCD.

"I think he's the one that puts me in my place," Avila said. "In practice, if I'm not doing something right, then he will yell at me and tell me to do this and that. Especially on the field, he puts me in a comfortable situation where he demands me to go here and there. I totally respect him and will put in the work. It's good to have someone like that and someone I can look up to. He is like an older brother to me."


Season Over For Arteta
Young Hoops champing at bit
Udinese confirm Sanchez role
Hyndman finds positives in loss