Monday, January 12, 2009

Combine notes: Time for Cronin?

Combine notes: Time for Cronin?


FORT LAUDERDALE -- In a sea of players who occasionally look nervous as the fate of their professional futures hangs in the balance, Wake Forest midfielder Sam Cronin stands out.

It's one of the few times Cronin is supposed to stand out. As a holding midfielder, Cronin's tidy passing and adept positioning aren't supposed to draw attention from the casual observer. Even with the added pressure of the adidas MLS Player Combine, Cronin hasn't tried to change his game or his mentality.

"I'm just trying to show that I am a reliable player that has a little bit of ability and that can help a team next year," Cronin said.

Coaches and technical directors seem to agree that Cronin has what it takes to make it in MLS. Rumors continue to circulate about teams trading up in the draft to take Cronin in the upper reaches of the first round. In a year where many players are raw talents rather than finished products, Cronin's polish makes him an attractive candidate.

"I think I have the ability to make an immediate impact if I'm given that opportunity," Cronin said. "At this point, I'm just ready to join a team and help them win games. I'll work as hard as I can whether I'm coming off the bench, whether I'm a starter or whether I don't get a minute all year. I just want to be a good player and help the team in any way that I can."

That professional mentality is a common thread amongst Demon Deacon graduates. Prominent former Wake Forest players like William Hesmer, Brian Carroll, Scott Sealy and Michael Parkhurst have made their mark on MLS in recent years. Cronin credits Wake head coach Jay Vidovich for cultivating a program that consistently churns out MLS players.

"It all starts with the setup of the whole program with Jay Vidovich," Cronin said. "He know what it takes. He's coached a lot of good players. He knows the professional atmosphere that a college program needs to have. He's done a great job of nurturing all of the players that are coming out of there. Everyone's developed over the three or four years. The constant work you put in helps you develop and gets you ready for the next level."

Cronin isn't the only Wake product with a chance to go in Thursday's SuperDraft. Defenders Lyle Adams and Evan Brown are alongside Cronin and fellow midfielder Michael Lahoud at the Player Combine, while M.A.C. Hermann Trophy winner Marcus Tracy might merit a third- or fourth-round selection after signing with Danish club Aalborg.

Given the professional approach at Wake and the difficult schedule the Demon Deacons face each year, Cronin said players face constant challenges that help prepare them for the next level.

"In training, we have some of the best players in the country in my opinion," Cronin said. "On the training field, you get competition, but you also play in the ACC, which is the best conference in the country in my opinion. You're getting tested at Wake, that's for sure."

After passing those tests, Cronin will face new challenges this season in MLS. With all of the speculation swirling around his draft status, Cronin's first challenge is keeping focused and performing well on the field to leave a good impression.

"I've definitely talked to my coaches a little bit (about the speculation)," Cronin said. "Coach Vidovich let me know that the most important thing to do here is work as hard as you can and as best you can. That's all I'm focused on doing. I'll worry about the rest of the stuff after."

Amarikwa makes a name for himself: UC Davis forward Quincy Amarikwa didn't think his performance at the first day of the Combine reflected his true abilities.

"The first day, I thought I was a little slow," Amarikwa said. "I didn't come out as strong as I'd like to have. I didn't think the flight would get to me as much as it did. I really wanted to shake that off and show what I showed today. I came in focused and wanting to prove myself."

The Bakersfield, Calif. native had to wait until the second half on Sunday for the chance to improve upon his opening day performance.

"I wanted to show my stuff," Amarikwa said. "There are a lot of good players out here. You just have to sit tight, wait your turn and hopefully take advantage of the opportunity once you get it. Luckily, it fell my way (Sunday) afternoon."

Two goals set the Big West Offensive Player of the Year (15 goals, one assist) apart from the pack on day two. While the statistics were impressive, the manner in which he scored the first goal likely opened some eyes. Amarikwa collected the ball on the left edge of the penalty area before snaking through the adiPure defense and guiding his effort home.

"I just saw the ball and it looked like the defender was a little bit out of position," Amarikwa said. "I just ran after it, tried to get there and tried to make something happen. You don't plan anything like that. It just falls into place in the act. I was just reacting."

Amarikwa hopes he'll have a chance to react on Thursday after a MLS team selects him in the SuperDraft.

"I feel like I got my foot in the door," Amarikwa said. "I don't want to speak too soon. There's still a long process and there's a lot of good competition. Hopefully, I can build from here."

A day of rest: Monday was as an off-day at the Combine. After two stressful days, the players get a chance to recharge their batteries without any games on tap. Aside from team meetings and other administrative tasks, the players mostly had the day to themselves. With one last set of games on Tuesday morning, the light day will come in handy as the hopefuls try to shine in their last chance to impress coaches and technical directors ahead of Thursday's SuperDraft.

Around the Combine

• Generation adidas duo Omar Gonzalez and Rodney Wallace flew back to Maryland on Sunday night so they could attend classes in the hopes of finishing up academic commitments prior to the opening of training camps.
• Brown defender Rhett Bernstein missed both games over the weekend after pulling a hamstring in Friday's training session.


Combine notes: Marosevic standing out
Combine notes: First-day jitters
Lotina Recognises Sevilla ‘Need’ Ahead Of Copa Del Rey Clash