Monday, January 19, 2009

Rising star Gonzalez always a Terp

Rising star Gonzalez always a Terp


FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- As other prospective MLS draftees took the day off in preparation for the final day of the adidas MLS Player Combine on Tuesday, Maryland's Omar Gonzalez had already left south Florida.

Instead of lounging in the Florida sun, he was back in College Park attending a business statistics class he wants to finish before he embarks on his professional career.

"Once the season ends, I want to take some classes next winter to help work towards my degree [in criminal justice]," Gonzalez said. "After three years in school, I'm pretty close. It will be a lot easier to finish my degree after this class."

Finishing up his degree ensure he will maintain a connection to Maryland even though his playing days with the Terrapins are over. After three stellar years as a fixture in central defense under Sasho Cirovski, Gonzalez decided to pursue a professional career after winning the NCAA College Cup in December.

"One of the things I wanted to do at Maryland was win a national championship," Gonzalez said. "I wanted to leave a champion. After winning the ACC Championship and the NCAAs this season, I thought I had fulfilled everything that I wanted to do at school. I'm grateful for the experience. Sasho [Cirovski, Maryland head coach] taught me a lot in my three years there."

Once he made the decision to turn pro, Gonzalez had to decide whether to try his luck in Mexico, Europe or the United States. The tug to head south of the border was strong -- his parents hail from there -- but Gonzalez opted to sign a Generation adidas deal with MLS.

"I've been playing in America for a long time now and I didn't want to change things up," Gonzalez said. "It was really important for me to play in MLS first. I'm comfortable here and I thought I might be able to settle more quickly into the professional life here."

Gonzalez's size and experience indicates that he should settle just fine at the next level. He spent time in the U.S. residency program starting in 2005 and garnered eight caps with the U-17 national team. Add All-America and College Cup defensive MVP nods this season and Gonzalez has professional scouts waiting to see how he transitions to the next level.

Two matches at the Combine showed why Gonzalez and his pro-ready 6-foot-5 frame has earned admirers. Gonzalez said he "worked the kinks out" on Saturday before settling down on Sunday and showed the qualities that make him a desirable prospect.

"I'm pretty vocal on the field," Gonzalez said. "I'm just a big presence back there and I'm pretty good in the air. I'm also skillful on the ball. On Sunday, I was able to dribble out of a few problems and get rid of the ball safely."

The combination of size and skill has MLS teams intrigued. Gonzalez's name persistently pops up as a top-five possibility in Thursday's SuperDraft. He admits to hearing a little bit of the buzz, but said he's trying to stay focused on his coursework rather than draft speculation.

"It's flattering to hear my name mentioned for one of the top spots in the draft," Gonzalez said. "Being one of the top picks is more than than I could ever want. It's something I will really appreciate if it happens."

Gonzalez said he realizes MLS presents a new challenge for him, both on and off the field. The chance to start fresh excites him.

"Anywhere I could go, it's going to be difficult to play right away," Gonzalez said. "It doesn't matter where I start my career. I'm open to anything. I lived in Florida when I was in residency and moved to Maryland, so I'm ready to start my life in a new place."

Even though his life will change dramatically in the next week or so, Gonzalez will keep at least a few links to his past. Like the few trips over the next couple of years to finish some unfinished business back in College Park.


Del Nido Hopes For Year Of ‘Consolidation’ For Sevilla
Zusi, Gonzalez star on Terps’ Cup run
Rijkaard Congratulates Barcelona
Zusi leads Maryland to College Cup