Monday, January 5, 2009

Donovan joins Munich on temporary loan

Donovan joins Munich on temporary loan


Los Angeles Galaxy forward Landon Donovan has joined German Bundesliga giant Bayern Munich on a two-month loan spell, it was announced by the MLS club on Monday.

Donovan, who led Major League Soccer with 20 goals last season, is scheduled to return to Los Angeles on March 8, two weeks ahead of the 2009 season opener against D.C. United at The Home Depot Center on March 22.

"I've appeared for a number of teams already," Donovan told Bayern's official website. "I can play football, and I know what has to be done out on the pitch. I'm ready for the challenge, and when my chance comes, I'll take it."

Donovan, 26, initially joined Bayern on a 10-day trail in November. He is currently with Bayern in Dubai where the club is training during the Bundesliga's winter break and will play five friendlies before returning for the second half of their domestic season.

"We're all excited by him," Bayern head coach Jurgen Klinsmann told FCBayern.com. "He'll get playing time, in the friendlies, in the DFB Cup and in the Bundesliga. He has unbelievable pace and dribbling skill, he looks for the one-on-one situations, and he scores goals."

Klinsmann first became aware of Donovan, who began his professional career with German club Bayer Leverkusen, during his time living in southern California.

"Jurgen has been very supportive," Donovan said. "It was lucky for me that he spent a long time in Los Angeles and saw me play there. He knows my qualities. But I'm aware there'll be no gifts for me here at Bayern. I'll have to work hard for everything here, but that's what I'm really looking forward to."

Donovan, who is the second all-time leading scorer in Galaxy history with 52 goals and 40 assists in four years, has 106 caps for the U.S. national team and has scored 37 goals in international competition. Donovan is also a five-time winner of the Honda Player of the Year Award, given annually to the top U.S. national team player.

"The lad's fired up and wants to prove himself, which I find amazing," Klinsmann said. "He wants to convince the powers that be, myself included, that he's the right player for Bayern. He certainly has the determination."

Donovan should get ample opportunity to showcase his ability during his 10-week loan. Bayern Munich are currently tied for first place with TSG Hoffenheim at the halfway point of the Bundesliga season and will return to action on Friday, Jan. 30 against Hamburg.

That game is the first of six league games that the club has scheduled during the duration of Donovan's loan, which will culminate following Bayern's home game against Hannover 96 on Saturday, March 7.

However, it won't be easy for Donovan to get into the lineup with the likes of Luca Toni, Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski up front for Bayern.

"It'll be very tough, because Klose and Toni are in great form," Donovan said. "My job is to make the coach's job more difficult."


Cooper’s future remains a hot topic
Casquero Wants Trophy And Spain Call
Looking back at 2008