Monday, January 12, 2009

Swiss import Frei ready to make mark

Swiss import Frei ready to make mark


FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Thank Silicon Valley for paving University of California goalkeeper Stefan Frei's path to MLS.

Frei was just another teenager playing football in Switzerland before his father, Erwin, got a new job in the Bay Area and moved the family from central Europe to the West Coast. At the time, it probably wasn't the best move for Stefan. The young keeper had already turned heads in his native country and earned a call-up to the under-15 Swiss national team.

Instead of winding his way through Swiss youth system, Frei transformed into a 15-year-old freshman at storied De La Salle High School in Concord, Calif. After completing a stellar high school career that included one All-America selection and a host of local honors, Frei followed in the footsteps of his brother Michael and started his college career at nearby Cal.

"I decided to go to Cal-Berkeley because it was close and I knew the 'keeper coach there," Frei explained.

The geographical proximity and the program's patience further developed Frei's talent. Frei eased into college life by redshirting in 2005 before playing in six contests in 2006. Frei's arrival on the national scene came in 2007. Frei posted nine shutouts in 20 games as the Golden Bears claimed the Pac-10 title. For his efforts, Frei earned a nod to the NSCAA All-America team.

"We had a pretty good team," Frei said. "I thought our coach (Kevin Grimes) focused on defense, especially those little details. He worked hard to make it easier for me and the defense."

Instant success raised important questions regarding Frei's future. Whispers surrounded a possible inclusion in the Generation adidas class or a possible European move. Once Grimes asked him to come back and assume more of a leadership role, Frei decided to return for his junior year with Cal.

"Last year, I was in the same boat and I decided to stay because I was going to be a captain," Frei said. "That helped me tremendously because it gave me experience about how to lead and how to organize a team."

Junior year brought a third-round berth in the NCAA tournament for Cal and an all-region selection for Frei. Eight more regular season shutouts showed Frei hadn't let the previous season's success get to his head.

With two solid seasons behind him and professional interest climbing, Frei made the decision to turn pro and signed a Generation adidas contract with MLS.

"With the timing, everything just fit," Frei said. "The Generation adidas contract was perfect and it was a year where maybe goalkeepers were a little bit needed. I felt ready and I felt good to go. I felt comfortable and confident to go. That's why I decided to go to MLS."

A Swiss passport makes Frei attractive to European teams, but Frei was enticed by the chance to start his career in the United States and challenge for a starting berth from day one.

"As a goalkeeper, I think you can possibly have a longer career abroad," he said. "I think it's all about experience at this point. I think MLS would be a very good opportunity for me to get some experience. That's why I decided to stay here."

That experience has started at the adidas MLS Player Combine. Frei hasn't had any challengers to his place in his Combine team because there are no other goalkeepers on his team. The additional game time has given him the chance to adjust to the defenders, organize his back line and impress MLS coaches and technical directors.

"One of my strengths is that I talk a lot to my back four," Frei said. "Because of that, I don't get many shots."

Multiple teams could use a 'keeper like Frei, whether in the short or long term, but the Swiss shot-stopper isn't worried about where he's headed from here. In his mind, it's time to enjoy the Combine, get past the hype and start his professional career.

"There are so many speculations and so many mock drafts," Frei said. "I just want to play and get the experience. I'm honored that I can be a part of this."


Manzano: I Must Apologise To Real Mallorca Fans
Del Nido: Sevilla Can Beat Real Madrid At The Bernabeu
Generation adidas to dominate SuperDraft