Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sanneh hopeful for one more shot in LA

Sanneh hopeful for one more shot in LA


CARSON, Calif. -- His body may have been dropping hints for years, but Tony Sanneh wasn't ready to listen.

The former U.S. international and starter on the 2002 World Cup team wasn't interested in calling it a career despite signs to the contrary, which is why the 37-year-old defender is attempting to earn a roster spot with the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Sanneh had been out of soccer for a year and most recently played in 2007 with the Colorado Rapids, and injuries had taken their toll. He had labrum surgery at the end of 2007 and then suffered a deep bone bruise while training in his hometown of St. Paul, Minn.

"I thought maybe that was a sign from God that said too many injuries," Sanneh admitted.

But he soon realized his urge to play had not dissipated. He decided to take it easy for a couple of months and "had a good time," as he put it, before he started to play in local pickup games. That whet his professional appetite again.

The only problem was what to do about it.

The Galaxy were a definite possibility, since he had played for coach/general manager Bruce Arena on MLS Cup-winning teams at D.C. United in 1996 and '97, and Arena knew what Sanneh was capable of. Sanneh also played for L.A. associate head coach Dave Sarachan with the Chicago Fire in 2005 and 2006.

Arena brought the veteran into camp this week for a trial, and Sanneh is confident he can stick around for a while, perhaps permanently.

"I would think that's why he's here, that he can still play," Arena said, "but only time will tell that."

Sanneh, who turns 38 on June 1, said he feels rusty and a little sore as the Galaxy's first week of camp comes to a close, but he also said he still has plenty to offer, despite his age, which he felt isn't that big of an issue. It's the intangibles he provides that are much more important.

"I think I can offer leadership, experience and a winning mentality," Sanneh said. "I know what Bruce wants, and hopefully I can lead by example. Bruce wants winners. He wants guys that fight to the end. He wants guys to be team players, and he wants you to do the little extra.

"And I think if you can get a group of individuals that's looking out for the next guy instead of themselves, you're going to win more games."

That would be a refreshing change in Los Angeles, which has not made the playoffs in each of the last three seasons and led MLS in goals allowed last year. Sanneh, who is one of 11 defenders on the Galaxy's 33-man preseason roster, is hopeful he can be part of that turnaround in Los Angeles, provided his body cooperates.

All he has to do is look at Chivas USA coach Preki, who was the league's Most Valuable Player at the age of 41, and that's enough inspiration for him to give it another try.

"I haven't put that many miles on in the last five years," the 6-foot-2, 195-pounder said. "I was playing pickup games and most of the pain was gone, and I decided to get back in shape. I thought, 'Why not?' I'm not stupid and I know I'm very old for the game, but it's been done before.

"I wouldn't have come here to make a fool out of myself. I never thought of this as a last chance. It's going to take a lot of hard work, but I believe in myself and always have.

"I'll just take it a day at a time," he went on. "Right now, I'm with a great group of guys having a great time, and we'll see what works."


Antonio Hidalgo Looking For Playing Time With Osasuna
Barcelona Are The Perfect Team For Me - Dani Alves
No real surprises at MLS SuperDraft
Lewis: Hall gives defenders day in sun