Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Oduro's development a bright spot for FCD

Oduros development a bright spot for FCD


FRISCO, Texas -- For the most part, last season was one to forget for the majority of the FC Dallas squad. But along with striker Kenny Cooper, who finished second in MLS in goals, another attacking bright spot was the continuing development of Dominic Oduro.

All told, Oduro played in 25 games, nine of those starts and the 23-year-old from Ghana finished the year with five goals and two assists, tying another career best he set in 2007. Before Jeff Cunningham's arrival in late August, the former Virginia Commonwealth star played an average of just more than 67 minutes in 14 of FCD's first 18 games he played in.

After Cunningham joined the team, Oduro played in eight of the Hoops' final nine games, but averaged just 20 minutes of action down the stretch. Despite his lack of playing time, Oduro handled the midseason coaching change from Steve Morrow to Schellas Hyndman like a seasoned veteran.

"I thought I was more professional about it," Oduro said. "It wasn't easy for me but I thought I was very good. He (Hyndman) came in and I thought I would have more playing time. I was disappointed in sitting on the bench but at the same time, it's what he wants for the team. I just took it in good faith. I still did my best and it wasn't easy for me but I just think I did what I had to do. It was a tough position to be in but I made the best of it."

Still, even though he didn't score a goal after July 27, Oduro feels his third year in MLS went pretty well.

"We had a little bit of change in coaching from Steve Morrow to (interim coach) Marco (Ferruzzi) and then to Schellas, which was a big transition for us," he said. "I thought I had a great season. It's unfortunate that we didn't make the playoffs. I think next year we will do better than we did last year."

And even though it was Cunningham who saw the bulk of the playing time instead, Oduro savored the opportunity to learn some tricks of the trade from such an experienced scorer.

"I have learned a lot," he said. "Let's face it, he's a veteran of this league and he's been through a lot. Both on and off the field, we communicate a lot. He's a great motivator for me. He tries to give you confidence and he's a great guy."

While much of the season went well for Oduro, he admits that missing the playoffs for the first time in his MLS career was a bitter pill to swallow.

"I wouldn't say that we're mad, we're just disappointed that we didn't make it," he said. "That was the first time we hadn't made the playoffs (since I had been here) so it was more a disappointment. I think there were one or two games that we could've won to make everything right. At the end of the day, it is what it is. So all we have to do is try to win more games, finish games and hopefully things will go well next year."

He did watch much of the 2008 MLS Cup Playoffs on TV but did say it was more than a little painful.

"It was a little difficult watching it," Oduro said. "When I was watching it, I felt like we could've been there and we could've been the guys playing. At the same time, it's our league and we have to show commitment to it. It wasn't all that exciting. I would say it was more heartbreaking. I thought Columbus deserved it, so kudos to them."

Last season, Oduro showed a better ability to finish, something that had been a big question in his game during his first two seasons. This offseason, he wants to continue laying the groundwork to make such big strides.

"I've been trying to work on the little things that happened last year," he said. "Nobody is perfect and everybody has things they have to work on. I am trying to work on my speed and trying to get better and better. I am running and weightlifting to get better for next season."

Just before the holiday season, Oduro surprised his family by returning to Ghana for the first time in a number of years. It was clearly a big moment.

"I haven't been home since 2004," he said before Christmas. "This is something I have been looking forward to. I'm excited to be going back home. It's more like it's one of my dreams come true. They don't even know I'm coming home. It will be a huge surprise for them and I know they will be very happy. It will be like a big family reunion."

With preseason training beginning in mid-January, count Oduro as one player who is ready to start anew.

"It's kind of boring sitting at home right now," he said. "I'm ready for the season to start and am ready to show what I can contribute to the team."


Offseason so far kind to Dello-Russo
Robben Feels At Home On Real Madrid Right
David Silva To Return For Valencia This Week